The northeastern region is a tribal area of the country most of the population is consist of tribals who have traditional knowledge of handicrafts and handlooms. This region is densely forested and has an economy that is based on small-scale production of indigenous crafts from the resources of forests.
The Northeastern Handicrafts & Handlooms Development Corporation (NEHHDC) was formed to preserve this rich heritage and make it productive for the development of the economy. The NEHHDC under the Ministry of development of Northeastern Region (DoNER), has been categorized as a Central Public Sector Enterprise (CPSE) based on qualitative and quantitative criteria.
The main aim of the scheme is to Promote enterprises in the handlooms and handicrafts sector and provide a platform for sustainable economic growth by promoting the local artisans.
Nature of aid
- The maximum project cost will be Rs.25 lakhs. Term loan assistance is to be up to 75% of the project cost.
- The promoters’ contribution will be a minimum of 25% of the project cost.
- The interest rate will be 8%, repayment period to be 3-7 years, including a moratorium on principal repayment.
- Experts in handlooms and handicrafts products from North-East India.
- The proposed units could be a proprietorship, partnership, or company.
Purposes of the registration
To become beneficiaries of the programs of NEHHDC, artisans/craftspeople can register themselves with the corporation. Craftspeople can register themselves for the following purposes:
- To supply their products to the NEHHDC marketing centers at reasonable prices
- To display their products at exhibitions and fairs organized across the country
- To participate in skill development workshops to enhance their skill.
The following documents and other requirements for application:
- Personal contact details like e-mail ID and telephone numbers
- Photograph for ID card
- Bank account details for transaction purposes
- Aadhaar number (for identification)
- Artisan ID card number if already available
- Details regarding production unit and annual turnover